Contact Lens Related Eye Emergencies: What To Do During the Festive Season
The festive season is a time when many people like to change their appearance and enhance their looks for special occasions. One popular method is using contact lenses, which not only transform your eyes but also provide vision correction without the need for glasses. However, it’s important to be prepared for potential contact lens-related eye emergencies during this time.
According to Mr. Debapriya Mukhopadhyay, Head of Professional Optometry Services at Aqualens, Lenskart, contact lenses are generally safe to use, but precautions should be taken to ensure eye health. Contact lens-related eye emergencies can range from infections to corneal scratches. Infections can be caused by bacterial or viral microorganisms, while corneal abrasions are often the result of improper handling or fitting of lenses.
It’s crucial to watch out for warning signs that may indicate an emergency. If you experience redness, pain, sensitivity to light, excessive tears, blurred vision, or persistent discharge, it’s important not to ignore these symptoms. Additionally, any feeling of discomfort or something stuck in the eye should not be disregarded.
Festival activities, such as night-time celebrations and exposure to smoke and pollutants, can increase the risk of eye emergencies related to contact lenses. Prolonged wear and tear and improper care can worsen these risks. Therefore, it’s essential to be vigilant about eye health and contact lens hygiene during the holiday season.
Dr. Bhupesh Singh, Senior Ophthalmologist at Bharti Eye Hospitals, warns that people often wear contact lenses for extended periods during the festive season and neglect hygiene standards. This combination can lead to potential ocular complications such as corneal infections and abrasions. If you experience symptoms like redness, sharp pain, or sudden vision disturbances, it’s crucial to immediately stop using contacts.
Dr. Singh also advises against attempting to self-diagnose or using unspecific over-the-counter drops as a makeshift solution. Conditions like corneal ulcers can escalate quickly and may result in irreversible vision loss if not professionally managed. Therefore, it’s important to prioritize correct lens care routines and seek professional guidance rather than relying on temporary fixes.
To prevent contact lens-related eye emergencies, here are some precautionary tips for contact lens users:
1. Avoid purchasing cosmetic contact lenses from unreliable sources. Only buy contact lenses from reputable suppliers who adhere to appropriate hygiene and prescription standards.
2. Maintain good hygiene by properly cleaning, disinfecting, and storing contact lenses. Following step-by-step care instructions can be life-saving during this time.
3. Prepare an emergency kit that includes doctor-prescribed lubricating eye drops, a contact lens case, a multi-purpose solution, and a small mirror. Having this kit ready at festive events can be helpful.
If you suspect an eye emergency during the holiday season, follow these important steps:
1. Remove contact lenses immediately with clean and dry hands and seek professional help. Trying to solve the problem yourself can worsen the situation.
2. If contamination is suspected, rinse your eyes with prescribed eye drops or clean, lukewarm water to remove any debris or contaminants.
3. Avoid rubbing your eyes, as it can make the problem worse and cause more damage. Keep your eyes as still as possible.
4. Apply lubricating eye drops specifically designed for contact lens wearers after consulting with an eye specialist. These drops can relieve discomfort and keep your eyes hydrated.
5. Avoid using over-the-counter eye medications without professional advice. Only a qualified healthcare professional can recommend the appropriate treatment.
In an eye emergency, time is of the essence. Taking prompt action and seeking professional help is crucial to ensure the best possible results for your eye health during this festive season.
Remember, while the holidays are a time to celebrate and make memories, it’s also important to prioritize your eye health, especially if you wear contact lenses. By understanding the potential risks and being prepared, you can enjoy the festival without compromising your visibility. Take the necessary precautions if an emergency arises so that you can continue to enjoy the festival with clear vision and peace of mind.
During the festive season, it’s common for people to opt for contact lenses to enhance their appearance. However, it’s important to be aware of potential contact lens-related eye emergencies and take necessary precautions. By prioritizing eye health and following proper hygiene practices, you can enjoy the festivities without compromising your vision. If an emergency occurs, seek professional help promptly to ensure the best possible outcome for your eye health.